Lessons from the development of 'Managing Information System' in reducing traffic injuries of Banphai hospital, Khon Kaen province and its network

Main Article Content

อดุลย์ บำรุง
จิรวรรณ กิจเลิศพรไพโรจน์
ระพีพงศ์ สุพรรณไชยมาตย์
ประยูร โกวิทย์

Abstract

Background: Banphai district is one of the major economic areas in Khon Kaen province where traffic accidents often occur. The numbers of injuries visiting Banphai hospital varied between 1,800 and 2,000 cases/year, with about 30 deaths/year. To tackle this problem, the 'Managing Information System' (MIS) team was set up in 2009.   


Measures: Banphai hospital staff are the founding members of the MIS team. Soon after its inception, the team gradually included police, the Department of Highways (DOH), the Department of Land Transport (DOLP), commerce groups, and communities as part of its network. The 5E (Engineering, Enforcement, Education, Emergency, and Evaluation) and PDCA principles (Plan-Do-Check-Act) are applied. Each authority is responsible for different 'E', eg. the DOH for road engineering and the DOLP for educating drivers. The reporting systems between authorities were harmonized. 


Effects/changes: About 80% of traffic accidents related deaths are due to risky behaviors of the riders/drivers, while unsafe environments account for the rest 20%. Some concrete measures (both long run and short run policies) were proposed. Examples of the measures are (1) establishing clear traffic signs in risky junctions, (2) closing the U-turn points where clashes often occurred, and (3) an instigation of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between authorities for campaigning helmet use. Since 2014, the incidence of traffic accidents related deaths has declined for about one third. The MIS is also successful in reducing alcohol related traffic injuries by about 6%.


Conclusions: The MIS working system is a beneficial lesson for other areas to learn how to harness local resources and seek coordination from stakeholders for preventing traffic accidents. Open-mindedness, trust, reverence and endurance are key success factors.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Article Details

How to Cite
บำรุงอ., กิจเลิศพรไพโรจน์จ., สุพรรณไชยมาตย์ร., & โกวิทย์ป. (2018). Lessons from the development of ’Managing Information System’ in reducing traffic injuries of Banphai hospital, Khon Kaen province and its network. INTEGRATED SOCIAL SCIENCE JOURNAL, FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES, MAHIDOL UNIVERSITY, 3(1), 173-191. Retrieved from https://so02.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/isshmu/article/view/146356
Section
Academic Article

References

Bamrung, A. (2015). MIS Banphai and Network for Preventing Traffic Injuries in Banphai District, Khon Kaen Province. Paper presented at the 2nd National Trauma and Emergency Forum: Trauma Emergency and Disaster Innovation and Integrated Management (8-9 July 2015), Cholburi, Thailand.
Department of Transport. (2011). Strategic Framework for Road Safety. London: Department of Transport, the UK Government.
Gonçalves, P., Kawagoe, J. Y., Cardoso, M., Silva, C. V., Toniolo, A. D. R., Castagna, H. M. F., . . . Correa, L. (2015). PDCA cycle reports: a quality tool to improve physician hand hygiene compliance. Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control, 4(Suppl 1), P280-P280. doi: 10.1186/2047-2994-4-s1-p280
Gopalakrishnan, S. (2012). A Public Health Perspective of Road Traffic Accidents. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, 1(2), 144-150. doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.104987
Howat, P., Cross, D., Hall, M., Iredell, H., Stevenson, M., Gibbs, S., . . . Dillon, J. (2001). Community participation in road safety: barriers and enablers. J Community Health, 26(4), 257-270.
Karolinska Institute. (2011). Principle for Safe Community. Paper presented at the Information system management, TK Palace, Bangkok.
Kontopantelis, E., Doran, T., Springate, D. A., Buchan, I., & Reeves, D. (2015). Regression based quasi-experimental approach when randomisation is not an option: interrupted time series analysis. BMJ, 350. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h2750
Lagarde, M. (2011). How to do (or not to do) … Assessing the impact of a policy change with routine longitudinal data. Health Policy and Planning. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czr004
World Health Organization. (2013). Global status report on road safety 2013: supporting a decade of action. Geneva: WHO.

วรเชษฐ เขียวจันทร์. (2555). ถอดบทเรียน บ้านไผ่ – เขาสวนกวาง จังหวัดขอนแก่นในการทำงานเพื่อลดอุบัติเหตุและการสร้างความปลอดภัยทางถนน. กรุงเทพมหานคร: ปิ่นโต พับลิชชิ่ง, สำนักงานกองทุนสนับสนุนการสร้างเสริมสุขภาพ (สสส.), ศูนย์วิชาการเพื่อความปลอดภัยทางถนน (ศวปถ.)
สถาบันวิจัยประชากรและสังคม. (2556). อุบัติเหตุและถนนอันตรายในประเทศไทย สุขภาพคนไทย. พิมพ์ครั้งที่ 1 (pp. 145-158). นครปฐม: มหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล

Most read articles by the same author(s)