The Study of Patterns of Kratom Abuses and Manner of Death in Thai Cadavers from Institute of Forensic Medicine (IFM) in Thailand

Main Article Content

Phatraporn Chodchoy
Theerin Sinchai


Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa Korth) is a highly addictive plant indigenous to Thailand. Kratom is still categorized as a Penal Drug under Category-5 of the Narcotics Act 2522 (1979), thus its usage is still illegal. Kratom, on the other hand, has been smuggled and utilized by laborers or farmers to boost output by chewing fresh, smoking, or making an extract. Recently, a popular new recreational Kratom cocktail known as ‘4x100' has gained popularity and comes in a variety of formulations. As a result, a retrospective study of the patterns of Kratom misuse and manner of death in Thai cadavers was conducted. Data from Thai cadavers' autopsies and toxicology reports were collected and examined during a three-year period at IFM. The discovery of Kratom usage in 0.94% of Thai cadavers (90 cases). The study discovered 34 different addictive patterns, with just one pattern (24.4%) being used as a typical doping agent to enhance work efficiency, and the rest 33 patterns (75.6%) suggesting that they were used as recreational drugs. This group finding narcotic (i.e. Methamphetamine, Cannabis and Ketamine) and/or medicine (i.e. Diphenhydramine, Chlorpheniramine, Promethazine, Hydroxyzine, Cetirizine, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Midazolam, Alprazolam, Methadone, Codeine and Dextromethorphan) mixed in Kratom cocktail or consume together. As a result of the many Kratom abuse patterns, the legislation controlling "Kratom consumption" must be meticulously and firmly created, and those involved in public health-therapy must appropriately address the changing trend of Kratom abuse.


Download data is not yet available.

Article Details

How to Cite
Chodchoy, P., & Sinchai, T. (2021). The Study of Patterns of Kratom Abuses and Manner of Death in Thai Cadavers from Institute of Forensic Medicine (IFM) in Thailand. Journal of Criminology and Forensic Science, 7(1), 151-162. Retrieved from
Research Articles


Bokor, G. & Anderson, PD. (2014). Ketamine: an update on its abuse. Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 27(6), 582-6.
De Decker, K., Cordonnier, J., Jacobs, W., Coucke, V., Schepen, P. & Jorens, P.G. (2008). Fatal intoxication due to tramadol alone. Forensic Science International, 175(1), 79–82.
Goeringer, K.E., Logan, B.K. & Christian, G.D. (1997). Identification of tramadol and its metabolites in blood from drug-related deaths and drug impaired drivers. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 21(7), 529–537.
Kronstrand, R., Roman, M., Thelander, G., & Eriksson, A. (2011). Unintentional fatal intoxications with mitragynine and O-desmethyltramadol from the herbal blend Krypton. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 35(4), 242–247.
Laboratory and Scientific Section, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. (2013). The challenge of new psychoactive substances. A Report from the Global SMART Programme 2013. March 2013. Vienna, Austria.
Michaud, K., Augsburger, M., Romain, N., Giroud, C. & Mangin, P. (1999). Fatal overdose of tramadol and alprazolam. Forensic Science International, 105(3), 185–189.
Shah, N. A., Abate, M. A., Smith, M. J., Kaplan, J. A., Kraner, J. C., & Clay, D. J. (2012). Characteristics of Alprazolam-Related Deaths Compiled by a Centralized State Medical Examiner. The American Journal on Addictions, 21, S27–S34.
Thomas, A., Nallur, D., Jones, N., & Deslandes, PN. (2008). Diphenhydramine abuse and detoxification: a brief review and case report. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 23(1), 101–105.
Trakulsrichai, S., Tongpo, A., Sriapha, C., Wongvisawakorn, S., Rittilert, P., Kaojarern, S., & Wananukul, W. (2013). Kratom Abuse in Ramathibodi Poison Center, Thailand: A Five-Year Experience. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 45(5), 404–408.
Tungtananuwat, W., & Choenkhwuanma, S. (2009). Risk of methamphetamine abuse promoted cerebro-cardiovascular defects in Thai cadavers which sent to autopsy at Institute of Forensic Medicine, Thailand. Journal of Health Research, 23(3), 147-151. (In Thai)
Tungtananuwat, W., & Lawanprasert, S. (2010). Fatal 4x100; Home-Made Kratom Juice Cocktail. Journal of Health Research, 24(1), 43-47. (In Thai).
Wolf, B. C., Lavezzi, W. A., Sullivan, L. M., Middleberg, R. A., & Flannagan, L. M. (2005). Alprazolam-Related Deaths in Palm Beach County. The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, 26(1), 24–27. 0000153994.95642.c1
Zhuo, X., Cang, Y., Yan, H., Bu, J., & Shen, B. (2010). The prevalence of drugs in motor vehicle accidents and traffic violations in Shanghai and neighboring cities. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 42(6), 2179–2184.